Amulets and charms

Discussion in 'Pinoy Culture' started by Alexandoy, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Our culture is rife with folklore and superstitions that include the amulet and charm. The amulet is the object that protects a person from harm that he becomes bullet-proof. A charm is an object or chant that gives the person the authority over another person’s mind. This topic is very interesting to foreigners whenever it would be mentioned. They would ask me to elaborate.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Not only in the folklore but even in the modern times, the amulet had played a role even in politics. There was Valentin Delos Santos who was the head of a group called Lapiang Malaya. He had convinced his members that the amulet he gave them would make them bullet-proof. In a skirmish with the cops in Pasay City, so many members of Valentin’s group died of bullet wounds when they fought the police force. That was the end of that amulet story of the Lapiang Malaya.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

My maternal grandfather Lolo Pepe also has an amulet that I saw myself. They said that it can protect the holder of the amulet from any harm. Lolo Pepe used to be in the Ispiritista movement, the group that talks to the spirits. My mother was used by Lolo Pepe as a medium when she was a teenager. They asked the spirits for guidance to be safe during the 2nd world ware. And it came to pass that they were saved from harm from the Japanese soldiers.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

There are countless of stories about amulets. According to folklore, one way to have it is by getting the first drop from a banana blossom. And it has to be done during a full moon. After receiving the first drop of liquid, the environment will change and you have to fight the strange characters that will attack you. But after defeating all of them you will have the power of the amulet that you can use for your gain.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Some amulets are for fighting and some are for being invisible so you can do some things that will keep your identity hidden. What’s amusing about the amulet is that many people still believe in that. The day that the amulet becomes very powerful is during Good Friday, that is the focus of the Lenten period of the Catholics.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

When I was young, my grandparents told of a story about their neighbor who was very beautiful who fell in love with a guy who looked ugly and poor. The community suspected that the woman was hexed with a Gayuma. And furthermore there are many cases like that in the rural areas because the rich guys could pay someone who could make them the needed charm for their desired woman.