Exotic and native edibles

Discussion in 'Food' started by Alexandoy, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The Talinum is a vegetable that is similar to spinach. In fact, some calls it the local spinach although the texture is different. Old folks say the Talinum is good for the body that it can give you stamina. One best way of cooking Talinum is to mix in a pork soup that will give it the green ingredients and add more taste. IMG_3727 talinum.JPG

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The Alugbati is common in the Visayan region. It is a purple vine with leaves that are nutritious similar to the camote tops. Usually it is part of the vegetable dish like pinakbet but there are those who make the Alugbati into a salad with vinegar and red pepper. The plant is easy to grow so it is common to be seen in the backyard.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The Pako is the native fern with longer fronds. It is also native in Malaysia that we had eaten in one food court of a mall. The Pako can be mixed in a vegetable salad with tomatoes, onion and vinegar. It can also be cooked as is and sauted in garlic and onions. But for us, the best way to eat Pako is to add to a Sinigang dish whether pork sinigang or fish sinigang. IMG_3829 pako.JPG

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Just like the Pako, the Alibangbang (or alibambang) is a good ingredient in dishes. I had tasted pork sinigang with the young leaves of Alibangbang since we were in the mountain and no other vegetable was available. You may be surprised that the Alibangbang is an ornamental tree with leaves like a butterfly. It called “close-open” in the urban area.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The Talbos ng Kasoy is the young leaves of the cashew tree. It is one exotic ingredient for the basic salad of tomato, onion and shrimp paste. That salad is usually prepared when the food is fried meat or fish and also broiled meat as well. The Talbos ng Kasoy is common in the central provinces of Bulacan and Bataan. IMG_3734 talbos kasoy.JPG

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

I wish you had included a photo of the Alibambang because I am curious. I grew up in a city apartment and I have no idea about native edibles although in my quest for knowledge I had come across talinum and pako and actually have eaten them. But this Alibambang is new to me.

7. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Saluyot looks like a flowering plant especially when it has the small yellow flowers. But the leaves of the Saluyot is one favorite vegetable of the people in the northern provinces. It has a slippery sap like Okra but edible and palatable when mixed with pinakbet and other vegetable dishes.
    IMG_3730 saluyot.JPG

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Bayawak meat is a delicacy that is precious in some parts of Luzon. Bayawak is a reptile that is smaller than the crocodile. It inhabits rocky places. Rural folks say that the reptile feeds on chicken so its meat tastes like chicken. It is best to cook with lots of ginger in coconut milk and vinegar.

9. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Some people couldn’t believe that a certain beetle called Salagubang is edible and palatable to people in the central provinces particularly Bulacan and Pampanga. The beetles are caught during an aborted rain when they are hiding on the soft soil of the farm. They place the beetle in jars and later on cooked. The usual cooking is with the use of vinegar and soy sauce before frying. I have tasted that but I didn’t like it.