Filipinos are basketball crazy

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Corzhens, Sep 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

It is not enough that you know basketball. There are 2 big leagues here called the PBA (professional basketball association) and the MPBL (maharlika Philipinas basketball league). It is best that you know some of the popular players. Especially when you are engaged by a group in a casual chat, you can never go wrong with basketball as the topic. That’s one of the easiest ways in getting to the heart of the boys.

2. kuya

kuya Administrator Staff Member

What does Maharlika mean? I have heard this before...

Corzhens likes this.
  3. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

The word Maharlika denotes royalty which was used by the people in the ancient times before the Spaniards came here in 1521. There used to be 3 categories of tribal people – Maharlika, Timawa (commoner), Alipin (slave). It may surprise you that there were already slaves and 2 of them – Aliping namamahay and Aliping saguiguilid. The Namamahay is like the domestic helper now while the Saguiguilid is the real serf or slave that does everything for his master.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

Just to add, the basketball league MPBL which means Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League can also mean Manny Pacquiao Basketball League because Pacquiao owns the league. For this year, the trophy costs 10 million pesos – that around $200,000. That’s how generous our boxing senator is.

5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The word crazy in the title is apt for Filipinos. Where can you see a team that didn’t win any game in an international tournament is welcomed like a winner? Only in our country because they see the basketball players as heroes in representing the country. Even if they looked stupid in losing by 50 points, they are still heroes. Pardon me for this sad fact but it is a reality so be careful in criticizing the basketball players.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

The Southeast Asian Games will be held in December here and I’m sure the basketball team of the Philippines will again be composed of professional players. I just wonder if they can become champion since the opposition is very weak compared to the last FIBA international tournament. It is a shame if they lose in their home court.