Living with the in-laws

Discussion in 'Family' started by Corzhens, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

It is common for a woman who marries a foreigner to live with the parents first before moving to a new home. That is the reason why it is advised to make yourself familiar not only with the parents of the girl but also to the siblings, nephews, nieces and other members of the clan. Filipinos are closely-knit families in tradition and you cannot go wrong if you treat everyone in the clan as part of your family.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

It depends on the in-laws if the foreigner has the compatibility. I think in-laws in the rural areas are better than those in the city. You know the demands of life in the city. Anyway, living with the in-laws can be a pleasure if you can always provide for their demands and needs. That’s the usual role of foreigners who marry a Filipina. Sorry to say but I am just being frank.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

One time in a resort, I saw a foreigner with a woman who was carrying a child. They are probably a family. But then there came a big group that obviously was part of the foreigner’s group. In total, there were about 20 of them, adults, children and older adults presumably the parents of the woman. And then I heard one said that they were lucky to have a generous brother-in-law. You can guess that brother-in-law was the foreigner.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

That situation where the foreigner foots the bill for the entire family of the wife is common but not really a desirable trait. I think it is also the negligence of the wife to allow that kind of situation. She can probably tell her family not to abuse the kindness of the foreigner husband so as not to give a bad impression of the family.