Philippine literature

Discussion in 'Tagalog Only' started by Corzhens, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

The most popular novel in Philippine literature is Noli Me Tangere which was written by our national hero Jose Rizal. The title means Touch Me Not and the story is about the life of the Filipino family under the Spanish rule. It also tackles the culture of the Filipino during the 19th century where the Spanish priests are the authority.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The sequel to Noli Me Tangere is the El Filibusterismo which is really a work of a filibuster. It is filled with hatred against the Spanish authorities and the lead characters, Ibarra and Crisostomo, are somewhat politicized. But the book is a nice novel to read since it is about the culture of the country during the Spanish era.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Florante At Laura is a novel in poem that is similar to the story of Romeo and Juliet. It bespeaks of the strict society and the family values that run against the culture of the youth. Partly it is also a sort of discrimination by the rich on the poor. But like the 2 novels above, this epic poem is a reflection of the society.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The Mahal Na Pasyon is all about the Pasyon of Christ that was written by a Catholic priest as a translation in Tagalog of the New Testament. This is a good read because of the worlds that were used during the Spanish era that are mostly archaic. The poem consists of stanzas with 5 lines and with rhyming words at the end of each line.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

One Tagalog novel that was made into a stage play is Larawan. It is written by the famous writer Nick Joaquin. I think the play was starred by Charito Solis and Lolita Rodriguez as the warring sisters in the story. It was a blockbuster during that time. The play was reprised by Rachel Alejandro and Joanna Ampil.