The serenade called harana

Discussion in 'Pinoy Culture' started by Alexandoy, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

In this modern times I know that women still love to be serenaded especially if the boyfriend will be the one to sing. You can hire a guitar player for the purpose. But some wise guys bring along a portable sound system for the minus one and there goes the harana which would be treasured by the girlfriend.

2. Jelineex

Jelineex New Member

Its nice to hear the acoustic version of serenade. Its more personalize and it has authentic approach. It feels more romantic. However, it doesn't matter as long as the guy has the pure and sincere intention to a girl or lady. He shows his love and commitment. That counts more.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

The harana is still alive in some parts of the country. In fact, my cousins in Pampanga have been serenaded not once but several times. My uncle has 5 daughters with pretty faces so you can imagine the boys that are looking at them. Now those 5 are all married and the harana are just memories on their minds.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I had experienced the harana when I was 18 years old in Zambales province. There were 5 of us with 2 guitars that I was one of the guitarist. The target of the serenade is a girl in the neighborhood. After singing 3 songs, we said goodbye and that’s the end of the harana. As per tradition the serenaders should be offered to enter the house and served refreshments. But nothing of that in my experience.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

Maybe cause-oriented organization like the Commission for Culture and the Arts would sponsor a Harana contest for songwriting and performance. The Harana is one beautiful tradition that should be propagated since there are only few countries with that tradition.