Traditional community entertainment

Discussion in 'Pinoy Culture' started by Alexandoy, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Bingo was the most popular entertainment in the community particularly for the lower class areas. It is the usual afternoon fare of the women. Although considered gambling or a game of chance, the players never fail to have money for the betting since it is only coins aside from the fact that sometimes they win. Truly the bingo is one social affair for the housewives not only in the rural areas but also in the urban places.

2. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Sakla is a card game that is one favorite of the old folks. It is usually held inside a public compound in the depressed areas in the city or in the rural provinces. Sakla uses the Tarot cards with a small bet that can win big. That is the attraction of sakla since bettors usually win although most of them loses and the Sakla operator always nets a profit.

3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The card game Sakla with a banker was replaced by the Terembe also with a banker. The bettors can choose to be on 40 numbers (1 to 40) and the banker would pick a number from the bottle. The winner gets times 36 of his bet, i.e. if your winning bet is 10 pesos then you get 360 pesos. It is very tempting that’s why the public is attracted. Just take note that those traditional games are now considered illegal.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

The Cara Y Cruz is a gambling game using coins. The 2 coins will be tossed in the air and the win is determined when a pair or tails or head come out. When there is no pair then the coins will be tossed again. Sometimes the gamers use 3 coins to make it more exciting. This is usually played by tricycle drivers who are resting and the guys on the streets. But now it is an illegal game although there are still people playing that in secondary or tertiary roads.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Member

I remember the olden days during the weekend when most of our neighbors would come to our house to ask racing tips from my father who was a race horse trainer. The races starts at 8 am and ends by 7 pm. Saturdays and Sundays were like an occasion with people glued to their tv and radio for the races that run every 30 minutes.